A few weeks ago we went up to Carter Mountain Orchard and picked about 10lbs worth of Granny Smith apples. They have been sitting in my refridgerator ever since. So instead of just letting them sit in the fridge until Thanksgiving, I decided to make some of them into caramel apples.
- 5 granny smith apples
- 1 package soft caramels (11oz)
- 2tbls evaporated milk
- candy apple sticks
- Wash, dry and take the stem off of your apples. If you bought your apples from the grocery store you’re going to want to dip the apples in boiling water for 15 secs to remove the wax coating. Just wipe the apples dry after they’ve been in the boiling water. Put skewer/stick into the top of the apple.
- In a medium sauce pan, combine the caramel and the evaporated milk. Over medium-low heat, warm the caramels until they are completely melted, stirring constantly.
- Dip the apples into the melted caramel and slowly spin the apple until it is completely covered. Allow the excess caramel to drip back into the pan.
- Place completed apples onto a cookie sheet lined with waxed paper that is greased with butter.
- Put the apples into the refridgerator for at least 2 hours to allow the caramel to set. Remove about 15 minutes before you serve them.