It has been awhile since I’ve had a food post. I think it’s because I hate cooking in the summer. We usually spend the season cooking on the grill, which is Stephen’s domain. But I wanted to get a start on making vanilla extract so I would have it come fall. Which happens to be my favorite season for baking.
Vanilla extract is something that I have wanted to make for a long time. If you’re like my mom, you might ask why would you make your own extract when you can just buy it in the store. And to that I say, why not? All it takes is some vanilla beans, alcohol and time.
Homemade Vanilla Extract
- 24 Madagascar Vanilla Beans from Beanilla
- 3 pint size mason jars
- 5 cups (which will be divided among the 3 mason jars) of 80 proof vodka (you can also use bourbon, rum or brandy)
- 12 4 oz Boston Round Bottles
- Use a knife to spilt the bean in half lengthwise. Leave about 1/2 inch at each end intact.
- Put 8 beans into each of the pint size jars. Pour 1 2/3 cups of vodka into each of the jars.
- Close jar and store in a cool, dry place for at least 8 weeks. Give the bottle a shake every week or so.
- After 8 weeks, strain the extract through a colander lined with cheesecloth into a bowl. Pour the resulting extract into the 4 oz Boston Round Bottles.